Wednesday, December 26, 2007

The Great Debaters

My husband and I just went to see the new Denzel Washington movie, "The Great Debaters". Really good, good movie. Of course, there were many things in the movie kind of hard to watch. I think I am a pretty "typical" white american, in regards to the fact that we know the plight of African Americans and all that some went through and still continue to, yet we like to think more on the fact, that now we have equality. Do we? Do we really? Of course, compared to 1935, when the movie took place, it's a world of difference. Thank God. I don't want to spoil the movie for anyone, so I won't give details. But, it just makes me sick to my stomach to see the inhumane things that were done to "negros", just because of the color of their skin. I am a very idealistic person. I was raised in a happy home, without prejudice. Taught to be kind, and love people, and a general belief that with God life will just work out. It's obvious by watching the movie, that not everyone was so blessed. People must have been taught to hate like that. I don't believe God made us to hate. It takes so much more energy to hate than to be kind. Watch kids, and how they will make friends with anyone and everyone. There was just something inside me, that ached, as I watched the story unfold. Thankfully, it ended in a real positive way. In the end, it was a great "feel good" story. I encourage everyone to see it. After watching the movie, I decided to go marry a black man and raise his 3 mixed children. If you know me well enough, you know, I would have to add some humor in the midst of all that seriousness!!!!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm jelous, can't wait to see it. Thanks for being kind enough to marry a black man and raise his " negro " children. We sisters would appreciate if you could spare a few black man. Black women want to raise some " negro " children to. Love ya!!

Shannon said...

Ummmm..you guys are making me really uncomfortable with all you (whisper) "negro" talk. LOL!

Sounds like a good movie. We'll have to check it out. It really is amazing that things used to be the way they were.

One- said...

I said "negro", because thats what they said in the movie!!!! That is why I put it in quotes. I would never say that on my own.

Anonymous said...

Dad and I want to see the movie also. It's not rated R is it one? Cuz you're not allowed.Hee Hee! Laurie you are the second funniest person I know. Isn't that right one? Love all you guys. Happy New Year.

Laurie said...

Lannie said you should've put;
" I only said negro because it was said in the movie ", in ()'s so people could get the context.